What makes Unique of RC…?
It is a COMPOSITE MATERIAL…
- It requires APPLICATION of more involved Principles of Mechanics…
- Structural Design is iterative requiring both ANALYSIS and DESIGN DECISIONS aided by judgment and EXPERIENCE.
- ACI 318 -the model code in the United States of America for guiding the design of RC members, look at Chapter 8.
- NSCP Code -the code in the Philippines..conforms to the provisions of ACI 318 Code!!!
Important Material Properties…
Concrete Strength and Steel Strength…
- 28-day Compressive Strength, f’c: ACI 318 Code 2011 edition, Chapter 5.
- Modulus of Elasticity of Concrete, Ec: ACI 318 Code 2011 edition, Chapter 8.5
- Strength property or yield strength, fy..
- Modulus of Elasticity of Steel, Es: 29,000,000 psi –ACI 318 Code 2011 edition.
1. –Procedures on how to Design Reinforced Concrete Beams!!!
Concrete Beam Sizing..!
Determination of Beam Size (b x h)—USE Spreadsheet or Hand Calculation!!!
Concrete Beam Size (b x h) or (b x d), FORMULA:
Area of Steel (As) determination!!!
The ACI Code 10.3.3 to 10.3.5 limits on the Steel Ratio (rho):
1.1 Minimum Beam Size for which Deflections are NOT LIKELY to be a Problem.
1.1.1 Set Neutral Axis distance, c = 0.375cb….
1.2 Arrangement of Rebars, Splicing points and splice length, development length, hooks requirement, and required Stirrups.
2. –Procedures on how to Design Reinforced Concrete Columns!!!
2.A. –Structural Design for column using Interaction Diagram!!!
2.B. –Example of ACI Interaction Diagram.
2.C. –Summary of Column Design Requirements!!!
2.1 Strength Reduction Factor, phi =0.70 -applicable up through ACI 318-1999; they have been changed to phi =0.65, for compression controlled members (columns and beams under compression controls) beginning with ACI 318-2002 Code, and continuing with the ACI 318-05 and 2008 up to present.
3.–Example: Design of Concrete Members, i.e. Frame Analysis, Beams, Columns, Footings using MS Spreadsheet.
- Design of Reinforced Concrete by Jack. C. McCormc, 3rd edition-1993, 7th edition-2005, 9th edition-2011;
- Design of Concrete Structures by Arthur H. Nilson, 12th edition -1997, International edition;
- Design of Concrete Structures by Arthur H. Nilson, 14th edition -2010, International edition;
- Reinforced Concrete (A Fundamental Approach), by Edward G. Nawy, 6th edition -2008,
- Reinforced Concrete, Mechanics and Design, by James K. Wight and James G. MacGregor, 6th edition -2012,